For Patients

When Should I see an Eye Specialist :

Even if you have not experienced eye problems in the past, you should see an ophthalmologist if:
• You experience a change in vision in one or both eyes, such as blurring, double vision, blind spots, flashing lights or floaters
• Your eyes experience pain, persistent irritation, itching, discharge or the sensation of a foreign body
• Your child squeezes his/her eye to watch TV.
• Your child eyes are not straight.
• There is an injury to the eye, fall of foreign body in the eye.
• You have had recurrent conjunctivitis, or red eyes
• You experience problems with too many or too few tears
• You have a growth on the eyelid or the eyelid is incorrectly positioned
• You are diabetic and / or hypertensive
• You are aged above 40
• You have a family history of glaucoma

The Do’s

– Wear protective eyewear while driving two wheelers or engaging in hazardous occupational work.

– Wash your eyes thoroughly before going to sleep and cleanse them of discharges.

– In cases of foreign body injury or chemical injury wash your eyes thoroughly with clean water and then
consult your eye specialist immediately.

– Have a comprehensive eye examination by a qualified ophthalmologist at least once in a year.

The Dont’s

– Avoid smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol. They are known to cause progression of cataract and
other optic nerve disorders.

– Avoid staring at a PC screen all day take breaks in between to prevent eye strain.

– Do not watch TV in the dark and do not sit to close to the TV screen (at least 5 feet away)

– Do not use eye ointments or drops without a doctor’s prescription.
-Never use steroid eye drop without ophthalmologist advice.